Date︰Sept 8, 2019
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰Prayer and Crisis
- When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them.
- As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him.
- “What are you arguing with them about?” he asked.
- A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech.
- Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disci-ples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
- “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
- So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
- Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?” “From childhood,” he answered.
- “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
- “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
- Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
- When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spir-it. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
- The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.”
- But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
- After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
- He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”