Date︰Sep 9, 2018
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰Paul & Barnabas: Needed Advocate & Companion
Passage︰Acts 9:26-31; 13:1-3
- When he came to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he really was a disciple.
- But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. He told them how Saul on his journey had seen the Lord and that the Lord had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had preached fearlessly in the name of Jesus.
- So Saul stayed with them and moved about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord.
- He talked and debated with the Hellenistic Jews,[a] but they tried to kill him.
- When the believers learned of this, they took him down to Caesarea and sent him off to Tarsus.
- Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.
- Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul.
- While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
- So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.