Date︰Nov 4, 2018
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰Paul in Rome: Confronting World Power
- Three days later he called together the local Jewish leaders. When they had assembled, Paul said to them: “My brothers, although I have done nothing against our people or against the customs of our ancestors, I was arrested in Jerusalem and handed over to the Romans.
- They examined me and wanted to release me, because I was not guilty of any crime deserving death.
- The Jews objected, so I was compelled to make an appeal to Caesar. I certainly did not intend to bring any charge against my own people.
- For this reason I have asked to see you and talk with you. It is because of the hope of Israel that I am bound with this chain.”
- They replied, “We have not received any letters from Judea concerning you, and none of our people who have come from there has reported or said anything bad about you.
- But we want to hear what your views are, for we know that people everywhere are talking against this sect.”
- They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.
- Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe.
- They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: “The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your ancestors when he said through Isaiah the prophet:
- “‘Go to this people and say, “You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.”
- For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.’
- “Therefore I want you to know that God’s salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!”
- For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him.
- He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance!