Date︰March 25, 2018
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰A Tested Faith: Elihu, Friend of Job, Gift of Youth
Passage︰Job 32:6-22 & 36:22-26
- So Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said:“I am young in years, and you are old; that is why I was fearful, not daring to tell you what I know.
- I thought, ‘Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.’
- But it is the spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.
- It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right.
- “Therefore I say: Listen to me; I too will tell you what I know.
- I waited while you spoke, I listened to your reasoning; while you were searching for words,
- I gave you my full attention. But not one of you has proved Job wrong; none of you has answered his arguments.
- Do not say, ‘We have found wisdom; let God, not a man, refute him.’
- But Job has not marshaled his words against me, and I will not answer him with your arguments.
- “They are dismayed and have no more to say; words have failed them.
- Must I wait, now that they are silent, now that they stand there with no reply?
- I too will have my say; I too will tell what I know.
- For I am full of words, and the spirit within me compels me;
- inside I am like bottled-up wine, like new wineskins ready to burst.
- I must speak and find relief; I must open my lips and reply.
- I will show no partiality, nor will I flatter anyone;
- for if I were skilled in flattery, my Maker would soon take me away.
- “God is exalted in his power. Who is a teacher like him?
- Who has prescribed his ways for him, or said to him, ‘You have done wrong’?
- Remember to extol his work, which people have praised in song.
- All humanity has seen it; mortals gaze on it from afar.
- How great is God—beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out.