Date︰June 23, 2019
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰The Art of Listening: Receiving the Implanted Word
Passage︰Mark 4:10-25; James 1:21
- When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the para-bles.
- He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables
- so that, “‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’”
- Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you under-stand any parable?
- The farmer sows the word.
- Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.
- Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy.
- But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.
- Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word;
- but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.
- Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some six-ty, some a hundred times what was sown.”
- He said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don’t you put it on its stand?
- For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is con-cealed is meant to be brought out into the open.
- If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.”
- “Consider carefully what you hear,” he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.
- Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.”
- Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.