Date︰January 19, 2020
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰ 2020 Vision: Encountering God in the New Year
Passage︰Genesis 32:1-32 (New International Version)
- Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
- When Jacob saw them, he said, “This is the camp of God!” So he named that place Mahanaim.
- Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom.
- He instructed them: “This is what you are to say to my lord Esau: ‘Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now.
- I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, male and female servants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.’”
- When the messengers returned to Jacob, they said, “We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him.”
- In great fear and distress Jacob divided the people who were with him into two groups,and the flocks and herds and camels as well.
- He thought, “If Esau comes and attacks one group, the group that is left may escape.”
- Then Jacob prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, ‘Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,’
- 0 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps.
- Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children.
- But you have said, ‘I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.’”
- He spent the night there, and from what he had with him he selected a gift for his brother Esau:
- two hundred female goats and twenty male goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams,
- thirty female camels with their young, forty cows and ten bulls, and twenty female donkeys and ten male donkeys.
- He put them in the care of his servants, each herd by itself, and said to his servants, “Go ahead of me, and keep some space between the herds.”
- He instructed the one in the lead: “When my brother Esau meets you and asks, ‘Who do you belong to, and where are you going, and who owns all these animals in front of you?’
- then you are to say, ‘They belong to your servant Jacob. They are a gift sent to my lord Esau, and he is coming behind us.’”
- He also instructed the second, the third and all the others who followed the herds: “You are to say the same thing to Esau when you meet him.
- 0 And be sure to say, ‘Your servant Jacob is coming behind us.’” For he thought, “I will pacify him with these gifts I am sending on ahead; later, when I see him, perhaps he will receive me.”
- So Jacob’s gifts went on ahead of him, but he himself spent the night in the camp.
- That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two female servants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok.
- After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions.
- So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till
- When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man.
- Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”
But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
- The man asked him, “What is your name?” “Jacob,” he answered.
- Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”
- Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.” But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.
- 0 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”
- The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip.
- Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket of the hip, because the socket of Jacob’s hip was touched near the tendon.