Preacher: Dr Jonathan Lo
Title: The Gospel of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
Sermon text: Mark 1:1-15
Hymn 1: All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name (97)
Hymn 2: I Know Whom I Have Believed (325)
(The video will be available on 9/8 8:30am)
- The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God,
- as it is written in Isaiah the prophet:“I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way”—
- “a voice of one calling in the wilderness,‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.’”
- And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
- The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.
- John wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
- And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.
- I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with[f] the Holy Spirit.”
- At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
- Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.
- And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
- At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness,
- and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.
- After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.
- “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”