Date︰April 15, 2018
Venue︰Tsim Sha Tsui Baptist Church
Title︰Two Emmaus Disciples: Christ in Scripture & Shared Meal
- Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem.
- They were talking with each other about everything that had happened.
- As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them;
- but they were kept from recognizing him.
- He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?”They stood still, their faces downcast.
- One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?”
- “What things?” he asked. “About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people.
- The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him;
- but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.
- In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning
- but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive.
- Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”
- He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
- Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?”
- And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
- As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther.
- But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them.
- When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them.
- Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight.
- They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?”
- They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together
- and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.”
- Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.